Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 04:22:07PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> As Linux 2.6.32 has been announced to reach end-of-line next month
> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/1/29/647>, I propose that for glibc 2.24 we
> require Linux 3.2 as the minimum kernel version when glibc is used on
> systems with the Linux kernel and there isn't already a more recent
> architecture-specific minimum.

There are other providers of LTS linux kernels available, for example,
RHEL6 kernel has EOL in 2019.  The change you propose would be especially
nasty to projects like openvz.org: they provide RHEL based kernels to run
containers, and their RHEL7 based openvz kernel is still in testing.
Raising the bar in glibc would leave openvz users without a stable kernel
where they would be able to run containers based on glibc > 2.23.

That is, I propose to leave unchanged the minimum kernel version required
for glibc 2.24.

--
ldv