Re: malloc: performance improvements and bugfixes

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:40:50PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 01/26/2016 09:50 PM, Steven Munroe wrote:
>
> > So why not fix emacs to stop doing this (purely evil behavior).
> >
> > If they want to persist their internal state from session to session
> > there are better ways. For example: https://sphde.github.io/
>
> It's complicated, but not just for the technical challenges involved.
> My warning to the Emacs developers that we are going to clean this up on
> the glibc side was not universally well-received.

One option is to do something like

#define USE_NEW_MALLOC
#include <stdlib.h>

It is admittedly tasteless and will only look worse over time.  But it
is no worse than linking against an alternative malloc.  If there is too
much inertia from legacy users, this is the low-tech variant to leave
them behind and improve malloc.

Better alternatives are certainly welcome.  But if they take another
year to get implemented, I wonder if we should even bother.  It was a
question people asked me several times and answering that question only
gets harder over time.

Jörn

--
To recognize individual spam features you have to try to get into the
mind of the spammer, and frankly I want to spend as little time inside