Re: malloc: performance improvements and bugfixes

On 25 Jan 2016 19:21, JÃrn Engel wrote:
> That said, I find language like "version 2 or later" trollbait at best.
> The paranoid in me and many other developers starts wondering under what
> circumstances the FSF might turn evil, by any definition of evil, and
> create a license to further their own schemes.

this doesn't retroactively change existing releases.  so any code you
contribute today, at worst, will be under that license (LGPL-2.1+).

> Copyright assignment is far far worse.  I am signing away ownership of
> the code.  But of which code?  Everything I ever write in the future?
> To answer this question I have to read a lot of legalese, any developers
> favorite.  Then I have to pay a lawyer to explain the finer points to
> me, because I may have missed them.  Next I have to pay a second lawyer
> to judge whether the first lawyer even knew what he was talking about,
> which sadly isn't always the case.

FSF CLA is per-project, and iirc, only like one or two pages.  i don't
recall it being that dense.

i'm not trying to push you to sign a CLA ... it's certainly your choice
and CLA's do suck.  unfortunately, this is currently what the FSF forces
onto GNU projects.  i'm not really sure why anymore -- the busybox/linux
cases show that GPL enforcement is possible w/only a single copyright
holder and no project CLA.
-mike