Re: glibc 2.23 --- Hard freeze starting

On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 22:50 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:13:47AM -0600, Steven Munroe wrote:
> > The full context is that the above is not acceptable to the distros.
> > They insist on an common and dynamic mechanism to enable/disable.
>
> Distros can backport the tunables patchset to any release since it
> does not change the ABI.

But not until it is accepted upstream in GLIBC. There are deadlines
associated with other communities that where missed and are being
missed.

> > I fear that this group will not find consensus in the absence of some
> > forcing issue. Otherwise the discussion (with lack of consensus) and
> > associate delays will go on indefinitely.
> >
> > This has been delayed too long. It is time to end the debate.
>
> The delay was entirely my fault.  I was unable to get back on this
> task in time to allow enough time for everyone to review and come to a
> consensus.

If you could not address this in a timely then it would have been best
if you stated so earlier and handed this effort off to other interested
parties.

And we (powerpc team and I) should have been clearer on our requirements
and timelines.