Re: Large parallel glibc builds.

On 12/22/2015 08:25 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Community,
>
> I am consistently doing parallel (-j56) builds for glibc
> on Intel Xeon CPU E5-2697 v3 @ 2.60GHz (2 socket x 14 cores x 2HT).
>
> I have not seen any failures or artifacts that look like hazards
> or races in our makefiles.
>
> Is anyone else using larger boxes for builds and still seeing
> problems?

I still see the linknamespace failures

FAIL: conform/ISO/assert.h/linknamespace
FAIL: conform/ISO/ctype.h/linknamespace
FAIL: conform/ISO/errno.h/linknamespace
FAIL: conform/ISO/locale.h/linknamespace

reported here first:

  <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-05/msg00490.html>

Some tests have problems because they run into scalability issues
(thread creation is particularly slow on large machines, likely due to
mmap being extremely expensive).

The build itself is fine.

All this was observed on an 80-core, 160-thread x86-64 machine, with
-j160, running Fedora 23.  Parallelization is extremely low.
PARALLELMFLAGS does not make a difference.

Consequently, this machine is not significantly faster for building
glibc than an average laptop, and testing is in fact quite a bit slower.

Florian