Re: IEEE128 binary float to decimal float conversion routines

On 11/16/2015 12:24 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015, Paul E. Murphy wrote:
>
>> Hi Joseph,
>>
>> I think there may have been a question as to where the
>> conversion routines between IEEE 128 binary float and
>> decimal float should live.
>>
>> Observing existing precedent and machinery, I think
>> the appropriate place to house them is within libdfp.
>
> I think existing practice is that there's a copy of such functions in
> libgcc and another copy in libdfp - and maybe the libdfp version supports
> exceptions and rounding modes (software or hardware) but the libgcc
> version doesn't?

Thanks for pointing that out. libgcc implements a subset
of the API provided by libdfp. However, libdfp should have
better compliance and optimization for powerpc targets. They
take different approaches when converting formats, among other
things.

This opinion may not be shared, but we consider the libdfp
implementation primary, at least for dpd encoding.