Re: Clean up state on patchwork

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> What problem are we trying to solve here? I expect the patchwork queue

Patchwork is meant to help solve the problem of patches not getting
reviewed.  If someone submits a patch for consideration, they deserve a
review.

> will simply grow forever, and that's fine. Aren't we always just looking

It should only grow forever because of patches blocked on something other
than review.  For example: patches needing the submitter to make required
changes (though for inexperienced submitters, it would be helpful for more
experienced developers to pick up such changes as needed if the submitter
appears to have stopped working on the change); patches needing copyright
assignment; patches depending on changes to an external component such as
the Linux kernel; patches requiring the submitter to help lead discussion
to consensus (though if it seems the answer is likely to be that the
proposed feature isn't wanted at all, other people could usefully try to
lead the discussion to that conclusion so the patch can be marked
rejected).

> at the most recent submissions?

Looking at the oldest submissions in New state would be better for
ensuring that patches do get reviewed in finite time (though having no
difference between the two, because there aren't many in New state unless
blocked on external issues, would be even better - if it was the case that
any patch submitted at least a month before a release freeze would be
reviewed by the release freeze, unless it's very complicated or external
issues are involved).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com