Re: [RFCv2] Dynamic lock elision support

On 09/03/2015 11:08 AM, Steven Munroe wrote:
> We are willing to work with the community as long as the discussion does
> not drag-on or turn into a filibuster.
>
> We do need to fix this for existing customers, soon.

Next steps:

- New thread to get consensus on the namespace for new tunable env vars.

  - I suggest GLIBC_PTHREAD_ELISION_* since this is elision for posix threads,
    not generic threads like we might some day export via an execution agent
    library (see discussions around libea).

- Patch with manual documentation for the new tunable.

  - Start a new section on Tunables. We can help write it. Lay out the
    ground work for stability rules etc.

  - Describe what GLIBC_PTHREAD_ELISION_* does.

I look forward to working with you to clean up all the env vars
in glibc and extend them via the tunables in some way or another.
Since it would be really nice to be able to dynamically enable
or disable elision at runtime, and that's the kind of interface
we are designing for tunables.

Cheers,
Carlos.