Re: RFC: requiring GCC >= 4.7 to build glibc

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, David Miller wrote:

> From: Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:28:34 +0000
>
> > Would anyone else like to comment on (a) the general principle of doing
> > time-based upgrades of the minimum GCC and binutils versions for building
> > glibc (so typically upgrade every other glibc release cycle, since GCC and
> > binutils have major releases about once a year) or (b) this particular
> > proposed increase?
>
> It can be a pain to upgrade gcc, and in fact for me this is much
> harder than updating the kernel for example.  If I upgrade gcc it
> effects all of my development work, not just the work I do with glibc.

What criteria would you like for the minimum GCC version for building
glibc?

FWIW there seem to be about 20 preprocessor conditionals in glibc that
could be immediately eliminated by requiring 4.7, in addition to the other
changes mentioned.  4.8 and 4.9 don't bring that many further cleanups at
present.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com