This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Dummy pthread functions in libc considered harmful
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:30:40 +0200
- Subject: Dummy pthread functions in libc considered harmful
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
BZ #18853 shows how the use of the dummy pthread functions in libc can
be harmful if dlopen brings in libpthread by dependency. IMHO it would
be better to remove the functions from libc, forcing the users to link
libpthread directly. Initially, the functions were only provided as
compat symbols (see the initial revision of nptl/forward.c), but soon
after that (in commit d7b2ea7) they were made available again because
"it caused too much trouble." This was very early in the NPTL
transition, and I don't think this is true any more.
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, firstname.lastname@example.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."