This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: RFC: Enable multi-arch support for i386
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:06:43 +0000
- Subject: Re: RFC: Enable multi-arch support for i386
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOoa3DjbpT4O+y4wgLP3MKR=R_x=3z-bw8FFkpaw5uVnpw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, H.J. Lu wrote:
> Since _dl_x86_cpu_features is available for i386 now, we can
> move sysdeps/i386/i686/multiarch to sysdeps/i386/multiarch.
> That means to make multi-arch available for i486 and i586.
> Should I post a patch to do it?
I think the principle of having it available there makes sense. However,
various files in sysdeps/i386/i686/multiarch include other files from ../
(i.e. i686 versions) or ../i486/ or ../i586/. So you'd need to make sure
such a change doesn't pessimize things or use unavailable instructions in
those fallback versions - the files should include the i686/ versions if
__i686__ is defined, etc., making sure to include the best version
applicable to the processor for which glibc is compiled (of course i486/
versions are always OK to use since i386 isn't supported any more).
Joseph S. Myers