This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Remove locale timezone information
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Keld Simonsen <keld at keldix dot com>
- Cc: Marko Myllynen <myllynen at redhat dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, <libc-locales at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 16:15:14 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove locale timezone information
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <556F23C9 dot 3030500 at redhat dot com> <557AE725 dot 5050104 at redhat dot com> <20150805090748 dot GH26572 at vapier> <20150805100126 dot GA11842 at www5 dot open-std dot org> <20150805102233 dot GA12350 at www5 dot open-std dot org> <20150805105311 dot GK26572 at vapier> <20150805113049 dot GB16488 at www5 dot open-std dot org> <20150805133305 dot GM26572 at vapier> <20150805155626 dot GA14334 at rap dot rap dot dk>
On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, Keld Simonsen wrote:
> I don't know. I think I could add timezone info since the epoch based on
> the Olson data for each of the locales. Would you be positive about committing such changes
> Mike? I would then have to write up a program for that.
We should not duplicate the work done externally in tracking timezone
changes, nor embed copies of such frequently changing data in glibc (the
existing copies of timezone data are purely for use as test inputs for zic
and time-related functions, not for installation).
I don't think it's useful to embed Olson timezone names in glibc locales
either. Rather, location-selection mechanisms maintained entirely outside
glibc should provide user-friendly ways of choosing both (language,
country) locale rules and timezone (the latter might change when
travelling, the former probably not).
Olson timezone names are explicitly not intended to be presented directly
to users for timezone selection. See the Theory file
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/master/Theory>. If a distribution is
presenting such names (and thus causing issues because the named city is
politically inappropriate), report it as a bug directly to that
Joseph S. Myers