Re: Problem building glibc

> There are a number of dependencies on headers in the install directory.
> Most are the headers installed by gcc, under ...-linux-gnu/4.9.2.

If the install directory contains the GCC installation too, then that is
perfectly normal.  What I meant was files installed by libc.

> If
> I filter those out, there are dependencies for install/include/limits.h.
> Once this is touched, almost everything needs to be remade.

That's not surprising given what you reported.  This is the crux of the
problem.  The build should not be finding limits.h there, but instead in
the libc source tree (libc/include/limits.h).  Because of the complex
#include_next dance between GCC's limits.h and libc's limits.h (via GCC's
syslimits.h), figuring out how this is going wrong could be nontrivial.  It
might be a new bug in trunk GCC's #include_next behavior, or it might be a
strange confluence of "correct" behavior and the particular circumstances
of your setup that we have just happened never to see before.

So pick some one file that gets limits.h into its .d (aka .dt) file, run
that one compilation command by hand, and figure out how the include nest
is (not) working.

> Should I configure with --with-headers pointing somewhere else?

That is only meant to be used for the kernel headers.

Thanks,
Roland