Re: [rfc] _PATH_VARRUN on recent Linux systems (/run)

On 03/29/2015 08:21 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> pretty much all Linux distros have converted to /run and /run/lock
> (where /var/run is a symlink to /run and /var/lock a symlink to
> /run/lock).  the paths.h header defines _PATH_VARRUN to /var/run.
>
> the question: do we care ?  i.e. should we change it to /run to
> match what all distros are doing ?  or does the fact that /var/run
> is guaranteed to be a valid path to /run sufficient to ignore the
> issue (and basically say that it's a moot point) ?

/var/run is in various standards (FHS, LSB, Debian Policy), /run/lock
isn't even mentioned in a freedesktop.org document AFAICT (although
it's in Debian Policy these days).

Therefore, I think it's fine if glibc sticks to /var/run for the time
being.