This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] fix BZ 18116 - build failure on ppc64le: setcontext.S uses power6 mtfsf when not supported
- From: Steven Munroe <munroesj at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot comcom>
- To: Martin Sebor <msebor at redhat dot com>
- Cc: munroesj at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:22:07 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] fix BZ 18116 - build failure on ppc64le: setcontext.S uses power6 mtfsf when not supported
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <550715C8 dot 7020508 at redhat dot com> <1426538231 dot 13272 dot 28 dot camel at sjmunroe-ThinkPad-W500> <55074888 dot 5060408 at redhat dot com> <55076687 dot 7010903 at redhat dot com> <1426553899 dot 7010 dot 11 dot camel at oc8268013063 dot ibm dot com> <55079FC0 dot 3000806 at redhat dot com> <1426607756 dot 6715 dot 20 dot camel at sjmunroe-ThinkPad-W500> <5509AD48 dot 3070802 at redhat dot com>
- Reply-to: munroesj at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com
On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 10:52 -0600, Martin Sebor wrote:
> >> You mean around each of the instances, as in the attached patch,
> >> as opposed to around the whole #if/#else block? Would you mind
> >> explaining in what way you think it's more correct than the first
> >> patch (a single pair of .machine directives around the whole
> >> conditional block)?
> > I mean around each instance of mtfsf 0xff,fp0,1,0
> > What you suggested is only correct and safe for IBM POWER hardware
> > Power6 and later. It is not safe or correct for powerpc64 chips from
> > other manufacturer that implement a subset of the PowerISA-2.05 (or
> > later).
> I suspect you've misread the changes in the first patch.
> The first and the third patches are equivalent and after
> preprocessing will result in the assembler seeing the
> exact same code, including directives, regardless of what
> the target cpu is.
The 3rd patch dated March 16th is good.
My response on March 17th was to answer your questions in the text.
Sorry I did not respond earlier but our IMAP server has been down for
the last 3 days.