This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] [BZ #14995] glibc fails to build if gold is the default linker, even if ld.bfd is available
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:46:11 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] [BZ #14995] glibc fails to build if gold is the default linker, even if ld.bfd is available
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150310125732 dot GA2340 at gmail dot com> <20150310221750 dot 991272C3C15 at topped-with-meat dot com>
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Roland McGrath <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> I think we should still consider this a temporary situation to work around
> gold's bugs. As such, I don't think the automagic stuff you've done is
> desireable. Just pass LDFLAGS=-fuse-ld=bfd to configure when a broken gold
> is the default. When there is a version of gold that is not broken, we can
> make the configure check accept that version string.
It is very hard to try glibc with gold. I didn't know those
gold issues until I used --enable-gold with my patch As
it stands now, it may take a very long time to get gold
fixed for glibc build. My patch does 2 things:
1. Allow gold to configure glibc build to expose all gold
2. Use gold to link exeutables which exposes a sub
set of gold bugs.
I think it will help gold developers see and fix gold bugs.