Re: buildbot for glibc

On 02/11/2015 08:06 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Google is now hosting a new buildbot setup for glibc as a service to the
> community.  Things are extremely primitive at the moment, but we hope to
> improve and expand the setup in the future (with your help!).

Thank you! This is really awesome!

> The hosts are virtual machines provided by Google Compute Engine.  The
> machine resources and setup help are being donated by Google's Dynamic
> Tools group (maintainers of AddressSanitizer et al).  Special thanks to
> Sergey Matveev for doing the initial installation and for ongoing help with
> the setup and administration.
>
> You can see the build status at:
> 	http://glibc-build.hack.frob.com/waterfall

Cool.

> That name (on my personal server) is a simple redirect to the actual page,
> which does not yet have a pretty URL.  We'll need some help figuring out
> exactly how best to set things up to yield a more pleasant browsing
> experience.

This looks good to me. We should get your server out of the loop to avoid

I've added a redirect from the main site for you here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/waterfall

> You can currently get the buildbot configuration and build scripts with:
> 	svn co https://address-sanitizer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/glibc_buildbot
> We want eventually to find a more appropriate place for that stuff to live,
> where the glibc community can collaborate directly on maintaining the setup.

Agreed.

> For now, there are two "bots", both actually running on the same one
> virtual machine (called a "slave" in Buildbot lingo).  One does the basic
> x86_64-linux-gnu build, and one the basic i686-linux-gnu build.

Awesome.

> Fresh builds are kicked off every time there is a new commit to master.
> It polls every few minutes to notice.

Perfect.

> The slave OS installation is based on Debian wheezy, which has only GCC
> 4.7.  The i686 build always fails in 'make check' because I haven't figured
> out what packages to install so that 'g++ -m32' will find -lstdc++.
> (Actually, I just installed another one and it might work next cycle.)

Saw that in the build logs :-)

> The x86_64 build has a few test failures (but all the tests do build),
> which I have not looked into yet.  The build logs do not get much
> information about how they fail, just the summary emitted at the end.  I
> can log into the slave and poke around, but I don't think I'll be able to
> offer that access to people outside Google.  Perhaps someone should whip
> up a script that examines tests.sum and prints out the .test-result and
> .out files for each FAIL--though that is by no means necessarily enough
> information to understand the failure mode.

That's what we do for Fedora. Our build logs are a combination of the
glibc logs, plus this snippet:

for i in `sed -n 's|^.*\*\*\* \[\([^]]*\.out\)\].*$|\1|p' build-*-linux*/check.log`; do
  echo =====$i=====
  cat $i || :
  echo ============
done

> As with all infrastructure for the project, there is no big supply of paid
> hacker time to work on this.  It's intended to grow to be of great use to
> us developers and maintainers, but the only way that will happen is if more
> folks in the community pitch in to improve and maintain it.

How can I add more slaves? Can we add more slaves from outside of the google
network?

At a minimum I have access to and the ability to add ppc64, ppc64le, s390x,
s390, and hppa slaves.

Cheers,
Carlos.