Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64

On Dec 23, 2014, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Dec 23, 2014, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Here's a patch that fixes a few build errors I got when using GCC 4.8
>> > with -Werror.  Ok to install?
>>
>> And here are a few more that I only hit when running the testsuite...
>> Ok to install?

> Are you building with -DNDEBUG?

Yeah.  I had no idea I was, but it looks like I picked that (and -O3) up
from a config.status created by a Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise
[GNU/]Linux build.

Taking them out, the build failures have indeed gone away.

Now, if we want to rule out -DNDEBUG builds, shouldn't we have some
Makefile CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS tester to report this error, instead of failing
in such obscure ways, that is a sure way to invite others to report and
offer patches in the future, in addition to requiring Red Hat and Fedora
to carry patches in future builds if they decide to keep on building
glibc with -DNDEBUG?

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer