This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 19:56:38 +0000
- Subject: Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <orr3vr3pa1 dot fsf at free dot home> <oregrq414g dot fsf at free dot home>
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2014, Alexandre Oliva <email@example.com> wrote:
> > Here's a patch that fixes a few build errors I got when using GCC 4.8
> > with -Werror. Ok to install?
> And here are a few more that I only hit when running the testsuite...
> Ok to install?
Are you building with -DNDEBUG? That's the only way I can see these
variables being unused (set-but-not-used). NDEBUG is definitely a broken
configuration for running the testsuite, as it means tests aren't checking
what they should if the verification uses assert - the warnings are
showing up a problem with your environment, not with glibc (see what
Roland said in
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-12/msg00589.html>). And I'm
doubtful NDEBUG is a sensible configuration for building glibc itself
either; at least, it's not a well-tested one.
Thus, this patch seems wrong, and I'm dubious of the previous patch
without a clean consensus to support NDEBUG builds of glibc.
Joseph S. Myers