This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC] [PATCH] Support explicit_bzero, memset_s, memzero_explicit, or similar.
- From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- To: Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven dot net>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:33:17 -0800
- Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH] Support explicit_bzero, memset_s, memzero_explicit, or similar.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAKDKvuzWYf3GcXYs4ED8XLyy58nzmvxRV84xwsKKZjPpVSFQug at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAKDKvuxUCWsoavp4aFo_bmh1D_YrrJQ+ctULLkhXt9nXtMbUMw at mail dot gmail dot com>
Nick Mathewson wrote:
if I'm reading the consensus right, people think
that the implementation is correct, and the functionality is
standards-conformant and probably better than nothing.
I don't see that consensus. As I recall, the proposed functionality doesn't
conform to C11 Annex K, and it's not clear (to me at least) that the patch is
better than nothing.
As I understand it the most favored suggestion in the past has been that Annex K
functionality should be packaged into a separate library libc_s; see, for
example <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-08/msg00141.html>. You might
want to look into efforts along those lines, e.g., slibc