This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 9/N v2] [x86_64] Vectorized math functions
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Andrew Senkevich <andrew dot n dot senkevich at gmail dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:25:07 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 9/N v2] [x86_64] Vectorized math functions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMXFM3uqG=KhwofMe7w-ToPHL0ur+apMT0sh4W82KYHyXnEEKg at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412031814590 dot 20515 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMXFM3tfBJgG7p2nYj4aQ6TmRAE0cA=rV1EsweMS8J9mw0ca8g at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412111646590 dot 21111 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMXFM3s-oQJuDOmEhQ=8C49gQmPYeJ43gw1zcCg61sFtUPnK2Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Andrew Senkevich wrote:
> 2014-12-11 19:48 GMT+03:00 Joseph Myers <email@example.com>:
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2014, Andrew Senkevich wrote:
> >> +vlen2-arch-ext-cflags = -msse4
> >> +vlen4-arch-ext-cflags = -mavx
> > I think these variables should have names starting "double-" to reflect
> > that they are for tests for double (there's no particular reason, if
> > vector functions for float are added in future, for them to use the same
> > flags for a given vector length as double tests; it's quite plausible
> > float-vlen4 and double-vlen2 would use the same flags, being for the same
> > bit-length of vectors).
> Yes, I just added cosf and catch it also. May be simply
> arch-ext1-cflags and arch-ext2-cflags to avoid such duplication of the
> same flags?
I'm not clear what abstraction you are proposing here - what properties
"test X and test Y use the same flags" you think will be the same between
architectures. It's not necessarily the case that the same options are
applicable to 128-bit vectors of 4 x float and 128-bit vectors of 2 x
double, for example (I don't think x86 is unique in having float vectors -
SSE - come before double vectors - SSE2 - and it's up to the people adding
vector functions to work out what versions are useful).
Without something clear shared between architectures, I think you need
double-vlen2-arch-ext-cflags and double-vlen4-arch-ext-cflags and further
such variables for float tests.
Joseph S. Myers