This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] intl: Merge with gettext version 0.19.3
- From: Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf at ezchip dot com>
- To: Will Newton <will dot newton at linaro dot org>
- Cc: libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, bug-gettext <bug-gettext at gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:47:38 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] intl: Merge with gettext version 0.19.3
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1418224536-12899-1-git-send-email-will dot newton at linaro dot org> <5489C849 dot 8070706 at ezchip dot com> <CANu=DmgRZhLN7hBm=ouVky0cHPA9pED6ve4ArWi6wJEyam5y0Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 12/11/2014 11:42 AM, Will Newton wrote:
On 11 December 2014 at 16:37, Chris Metcalf <email@example.com> wrote:
On 12/10/2014 10:15 AM, Will Newton wrote:
This patch merges the latest release of gettext into the intl
subdirectory. The initial motivation was to include the plural.y
changes which enable building with bison 3.0, but the majority
of the other changes are merely cosmetic so it seemed like merging
the whole directory was simpler than trying to take it piecemeal.
This appears to break setups like RHEL 6 where we still use bison 2.4.1:
/usr/bin/bison --yacc --name-prefix=__gettext --output plural.c plural.y
plural.y:46.18-21: syntax error, unexpected identifier
We don't seem to document or test for any particular version of bison,
see the shipped plural.c file is still from bison 2.7.
It would be nice if this actually continued to work with the older bison.
I just changed that line to "%define api.pure", which works, with some
but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. :-) Equivalently I can just
the shipped plural.c to avoid running bison; again we do get -Wundef's,
Ugh, I only tested with 2.7 and 3.0. Which Wundefs happen if you touch plural.c?
Sorry, I must have mixed up my cases while testing. Now I see that
2.7 looks like it doesn't generate warnings, which is good.
The 2.4.1-generated build yields:
plural.c:323:6: warning: "YYENABLE_NLS" is not defined [-Wundef]
# if YYENABLE_NLS
plural.c:737:6: warning: "YYLTYPE_IS_TRIVIAL" is not defined [-Wundef]
# if YYLTYPE_IS_TRIVIAL
I don't know if the right answer is to just document that 2.7 is the
minimum (and folks with older bison and no desire to edit plural.y can
just make sure to touch plural.c before building), or if there's some
reasonable way we can fix or workaround the warnings from 2.4.1.
Chris Metcalf, EZChip Semiconductor