This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Alignment of malloc returned pointer
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- To: Ramana <ramana dot venkat83 at gmail dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:53:08 +0100
- Subject: Re: Alignment of malloc returned pointer
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAF4ZLkuxQ=n2SOk1B7DB18cx_8nsrfpKmq_GR6wc76o+zVeExg at mail dot gmail dot com> <mvm61diqw9c dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de> <CAF4ZLkuT5aFE5-hCmd32bnhc1S8JgASXy7j105G_15_FYdtENw at mail dot gmail dot com>
Ramana <email@example.com> writes:
> Because we found that some of our applications are performing better
> with less alignment for the malloc returned pointer and we want to
> give the user an option to chose between the malloc with less vs at
> least __alignof__ (long double) alignment.
A pointer aligned to __alignof__ (long double) is also aligned to less
than that. So you already have that.
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, firstname.lastname@example.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."