Re: [RFC][BZ #16009] Memory handling in strxfrm_l()

On 11/24/2014 01:26 AM, Leonhard Holz wrote:
strxfrm is a function for pre-computing things that need to be fast somewhere else

That may be true in theory, but in practice strxfrm is pretty much useless everywhere. When I tried to use it in GNU sort, I gave up in frustration, as strxfrm was soooo sllooooow that it was much better to simply use strcoll and be smart about it. I don't know of any practical application that uses glibc strxfrm in a real way, and my advice for optimizating strxfrm is to not bother, and to focus one's efforts on making strcoll go faster.

Unless perhaps you're thinking of rewriting strxfrm from scratch, in which case we can talk about what's needed.