Re: [musl] Re: [RFC] Possible new execveat(2) Linux syscall

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 02:34:32PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>> > Yes. POSIX requires that permission checks for execution (fexecve with
>> > O_EXEC file descriptors) and directory-search (*at functions with
>> > O_SEARCH file descriptors) succeed if the open operation succeeded --
>> > the permissions check is required to take place at open time rather
>> > than at exec/search time. There's a separate discussion about how to
>> > make this work on the kernel side.

I'm not familiar with O_EXEC either, I'm afraid, so to be clear -- does
O_EXEC mean the permission check is explicitly skipped later, at execute
time?  In other words, if you open(O_EXEC) an executable then remove the
execute bit from the file, does a subsequent fexecve() still work?

If it does, then from an implementation perspective that presumably implies
the need for a record of the permission check in the struct file (and that
this property would be inherited by any dup()ed file descriptors).  From a
security perspective, having a gap between time-of-check and time-of-use
always sounds worrying...