Re: Fixing the distribution problems with TLS and DTV_SURPLUS slots.

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 03:39:37PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Adam,
>
> I'm sitting on this patch in Fedora, and you asked me to send it
> upstream. Unfortunately I don't think it is right solution for
> upstream.
>
> Firstly, please don't respond with  "But DSOs using TLS IE accesses
> are not allowed."

That's what I wanted to say, but I'll refrain.

> Do we grow the DTV_SURPLUS knowing it's a bandaid?

Considering that the growth is not that much memory, I have no
objection, but I hope this will be accompanied by a commitment to push
for moving everything to TLSDESC. Ideally this would include making ld
produce a warning (to be converted to an error somewhere down the
line) when producing a .so with TLS IE model.

> WARNING: On AArch64 or any architecture that uses the generic-ish
> code for TLS descriptors, you will have further problems. There
> the descriptors consume static TLS image greedily, which means
> you may find that there is zero static TLS image space when you
> go to dlopen an application.

dlopen an application? I'm not understanding the whole issue here, but
it's probably not that important to considering the change you want to
make, anyway, is it?

Rich