Re: Implement C11 annex K?

On 08/13/2014 11:35 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> I agree totally that strlcpy is a bad
> API, and I don't recommend using it, but since apps are using it, it's
> much better to have a fully correct version in glibc than a buggy
> application-provided fallback -- and the latter is really common.

Your argumentation appears inconsistent to me. strlcpy is a bad API by design
and provides no benefits except convenience for some applications (how many use
these functions, btw ?). If an application chooses to use a non-portable
and probably buggy function, well, then the application should be fixed. Not
glibc.

This discussion comes up every few years with no new arguments. IMHO glibc has
done well not to encourage the use of strlcpy/strlcat over better alternatives.