Re: Reverting the s390 jmp_buf/ucontext_t ABI change

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:16:17 +0200
Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com> wrote:

> On 08/01/2014 08:50 AM, Dan HorÃk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the main person behind Fedora for s390x and I have some
> > objections regarding this change. We had to cope with the breakage
> > in 2.19 early this year, it took some time to realize what's wrong
> > and we found a solution how to make it work. After some
> > rebootstrapping work we have used the planned mass rebuild to clean
> > everything. Due some nasty gcc 4.9 bugs the rebuild on s390
> > finishes during these days. And you are telling we should do it
> > again? Sorry, but it is not possible, there is only one mass
> > rebuild planned in Fedora per release and now it's also too late
> > when we are approaching Fedora 21 Alpha deadline. Fortunately I
> > still have the notes for the rebootstrap, so it can be done again
> > (for Fedora 22), but not now.
>
> Dan, I think you want this change - otherwise applications build for
> previous Fedora releases, RHEL 6 or RHEL 7 will not work on newer

I think we could live with it for one Fedora release in the case the
change got reverted (like is happening now), or for all upcoming
releases if it the would bring advantages for the future

> Fedora versions. It would have been great if you had notified the
> glibc people when you noticed that you needed a mass rebuild,

only I had known this change would come ...

		Dan