Re: Distributions still suffering from s390 ABI change problems.

On 07/14/14 15:09, David Miller wrote:
As you have already stated, we're already in a pickle because the ABI
change has been deployed as libc.so.6

So at this point, such a cure may already be worse than the disease.
Very likely. Numerous folks have made it very clear that a .soname bump in the libstdc++ would effectively mean the end of the world. It's safe to assume that a soname bump in glibc would be even worse.

Therefore, on the negative side, we might be stuck with this.  But, on
the positive side, we can refer to this incident next time a similar
incident arises.  We now know exactly what the ramifications are for
not handling this properly.
Right.  This is a shining example of the problems in this space.

Either the ABI has to be stable or the soname has to bump, with insane amount of pain that entails for the end users. Breaking the ABI without the soname bump is the worst of both worlds.

jeff