This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2] Remove MULTI_PTRS_ARE_ALIASES to fix Wundef warning
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>, Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:34:14 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Remove MULTI_PTRS_ARE_ALIASES to fix Wundef warning
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140627173501 dot GA12370 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <53ADB5FD dot 1030202 at redhat dot com> <20140628012721 dot GL4477 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <20140628043419 dot AFBF62C3A0D at topped-with-meat dot com> <20140630055909 dot GN4477 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On 06/30/2014 01:59 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 09:34:19PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I guess for now the inconsistency just makes me want to have the other code
>> forks around as documentation. I suppose comments would do it just as
>> well. Still my inclination is to make these something like:
>> /* Insert long new comment about the weirdness and referring to the other
>> file where the opposite fork is used in equivalent code. */
>> #if 0 /* was MULTI_PTRS_ARE_ALIASES */
> After reading further, I don't think there is any inconsistency in
> functionality. The gethostbyaddr function also uses the dns-host.c
> bits and gethnamaddr.c is currently not used at all. The only
> reference it has is in resolv/README:
> The files gethnamaddr.c, mapv4v6addr.h and mapv4v6hostent.h are
> leftovers from BIND 4.9.7.
> Given this newly discovered fact, how about the following patch
> instead? I don't modify gethnamaddr.c because it's not even used. I
> wonder - given that we have decided to own the resolver bits now - if
> we should just get rid of gethnamaddr.c and other unused files. I
> could add a note in the README mentioning this.
> * resolv/nss_dns/dns-host.c (getanswer_r)
> [MULTI_PTRS_ARE_ALIASES]: Remove code.
I'm OK with this v2, but if you're up for it I'd like to remove
gethnameaddr.c and update README. If we don't use the code it
should be immediately removed to prevent future confusion.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----