This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
i?86 libc.so check-abi regression
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: "GNU C. Library" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Cc: Stefan Liebler <stli at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: i?86 libc.so check-abi regression
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
The current trunk built for i686-linux-gnu fails the libc.so ABI check:
@@ -1563,3 +1562,0 @@ GLIBC_2.1
- scalbln F
- scalblnf F
- scalblnl F
I'm all but certain that this was broken by:
2014-06-20 Stefan Liebler <email@example.com>
It looks like Joseph approved this change on Thursday and Siddhesh
committed it for Stefan on Friday.
I haven't found anywhere where Stefan or anyone else claimed to have done
proper testing. It may have been reasonable for JJoseph to approve what he
saw based on the assumption that complete testing would be done before
commit. Siddhesh certainly should not have committed a change for someone
else without either testing it himself or citing the author's clear claim
that he had tested it.
See math/Makefile lines 77-87 for why these changes became relevant to the
libc.so ABI (not just libm.so, which wasn't broken).
It would be good to get some additional clean-up there. It looks to me
like printf_fp today does not actually use all those things, so we should
drop from libc whatever we don't need for printf_fp. Furthermore, we
should make sure that libc's copies are used only internally and not
exported at all. It's an unintended (very old) snafu that these things got
into any libc.so ABI; we never wanted them there. But ABIs is ABIs, so we
need runtime-only exports (i.e. no @@ symbols) of the things that
previously-baked ABIs require.