This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Fwd: non-ifunc pt-vfork
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: Richard Henderson <rth at twiddle dot net>
- Cc: libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:43:23 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: Fwd: non-ifunc pt-vfork
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <537F75A9 dot 6070503 at twiddle dot net> <537F7E5E dot 2030500 at twiddle dot net>
> +/* WARNING: If the compiler cannot turn this into a tail call,
> + then this mechanism will fail. The parent will save a return
> + address on the stack which will be clobbered by the child. */
Good point. That should have occurred to me.
> or to remove the non-ifunc portion of this file entirely. It does seem like
> this sort of thing is going to have to be decided on a host-by-host basis,
> and at least unavailable ifunc will error out at compile-time.
That would be fine with me.
> Alternately, we could drop this tail call stuff and just include vfork.os in
> libpthread.so. It's not like it's a gigantic object file...
Any individual machine is free to do that.