This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: zonefile changes and long running processes.
- From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- To: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 22:22:04 -0700
- Subject: Re: zonefile changes and long running processes.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <53632771 dot 9080903 at redhat dot com>
Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Is this a "flaw" in glibc's support or it simply a pedantic issue
that systems developers think about and everyone else reboots after
a tzdata upgrade?
A bit of both, I expect. In practice, tzdata updates typically affect
so few files that it's OK to leave servers running even with stale data.
Unless you care about the current time in Simferopol, for example,
it's OK if your server hasn't rebooted since Russia annexed Crimea.
Conversely, if you care about the current time in Donetsk, quite
possibly you can't rely on tzdata anyway, so why be pedantic?