Re: Notice clock_* functions in librt.so for old GLIBC_2.18 builds?

On 02/21/2014 02:37 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> writes:
The conditional is:
#if SHLIB_COMPAT (librt, GLIBC_2_2, GLIBC_2_17)

Which should result in no code if the ABI starts at
GLIBC_2_17 or later.

I think the problem is that there is no GLIBC_2.17 in Versions.def for
librt.  If the minimum version is GLIBC_2.17 this is implicit, but with
GLIBC_2.18 or later this doesn't work.

I have verified that after adding this the clock_* symbols disapper when
building with a minimum version of GLIBC_2.18.  I have installed this
patch.  Perhaps there is a way to automatically validate all uses of
SHLIB_COMPAT wrt. missing entries in Versions.def.

So, to clarify: This patch is only needed for builds in the process of re-bootstrapping, but for those of us building a powerpc64le build from unmodified 2.19 sources this is not necessary because the minimum ABI version is set to 2.17 and so the unpatched version happens to work correctly?

(And, to make sure I'm understanding correctly: This is code for old functions that were removed in 2.17 but we still need to export the symbols for old programs compiled against pre-2.17 versions -- except that, if the minimum ABI is GLIBC_2.17 or later, then such programs cannot exist so we don't need to export old symbols to support them. Yes?)

Thanks,
- Brooks