Re: RFC: The GNU C Library is no longer *the* C library on most systems with the Linux kernel (and hasn't been for a while).

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> Community,
>
> Our boiler plate release text says this [1]:
> ~~~
> The GNU C Library is used as *the* C library in the GNU systems
> and most systems with the Linux kernel.
> ~~~
>
> It was recently brought to my attention that this is really no
> longer true given that there are over half a million Android
> Bionic-based phones activated daily. There must surely be more
> Linux devices running Bionic than there are Linux systems
> running glibc.
>
> What should we say instead?
>
> Is device vs. system a real distinction or just jargon?
>
> Should we add "enterprise" or "PC" into the above somewhere?

Just a suggestion:

"The GNU C Library is used as *the* C library in GNU systems, and is
widely used on systems with the Linux kernel."

AFAIK, a "GNU system" is Hurd?  So just tweaking it a bit and avoiding
machine classification seems best suited.

josh