Re: Draft C bindings for IEEE 754-2008 part 4 now available

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2014-01-07 16:45:49 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > Sure, such a correctly rounded function is useful just like correctly
> > rounded versions of other functions.  The proposed C bindings reserve cr*
> > names *only* for the specific functions listed in 9.2 where IEEE 754
> > recommends correctly rounded functions, not for other existing ISO C
> > functions (e.g. erf, tgamma) or functions added by the C bindings by
> > analogy with other IEEE 754 functions (e.g. tanpi), but I think correctly
> > rounded versions of other functions (with the same naming convention)
> > could reasonably be added to glibc if anyone wishes to implement them.
>
> New CR functions may be added in future revisions of IEEE 754, so
> that I think that cr* names should be reserved for all functions.

I advise making such suggestions direct to WG14.  (I don't know if such
names should be reserved for correctly rounded complex arithmetic as well
- where ordinary complex multiplication and division are not expected to
be correctly rounded at present.)

(I'm currently chasing up possible issues with mail from some people not
getting through to the WG14 list - the only floating-point TS comments
I've seen there so far are mine and Paul Eggert's, so if anyone else
reading this discussion has sent comments on the drafts, please let me
know.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com