Re: Avoid two SSP ABI's for AArch64.

Hi Carlos,

On 9 December 2013 20:44, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 05:08 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> Thanks,
>>
>> I do not expect to need to change/add the alternative ABI interface, but
>> knowing that it should be technically possible means I can go forward
>> with what I believe today to be the correct decision with much more
>> confidence.
>>
>> So on that basis I think we should stick with the default ABI -- ie
>> using __stack_chk_guard.
>
> Thank you. In that case we have consensus to use the existing ABI which
> loads the stack guard from a symbol for stack smashing protection.
>
> That means that Kumar need to drop his two patches for gcc and glibc.
>
> I consider the glibc patch dropped (since I was the reviewer).
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos.

Thanks Carlos, I am  fine with dropping the "glibc" patch,  given that
we are going support to default ABI.

On the GCC side,  many ports emit stack protection set and testing
code as template of instructions in their back end.  Also the register
which loads canary value gets cleared though an extra instruction.

This is however a GCC question to Marcus on doing this for Aarch64.

regards,
Venkat.