Re: AArch64 patches for glibc master.

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> > * You're adding ulps for sqrt, which should always be exact.
>
> I wasn't aware that sqrt should always be exact. I'll try to
> educate myself on that. Do you have any pointers on where I can
> read about that?

If a function is bound to an IEC 60559 operation, it should always be
exact (correctly rounding according to the current rounding direction and
with a correct set of exceptions raised including "inexact" as
applicable).  For example, C11 F.3 says "The sqrt functions in <math.h>
provide the IEC 60559 square root operation.".  Other functions that
should never have ulps include rint, fma, scalbn.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com