Re: Consensus on MT-, AS- and AC-Safety docs.

On Nov 25, 2013, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Nov 2013, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> There's a linguistics argument to be made here.

> I think the linguistics can go just as much the other way - people read
> text in much larger blocks than individual letters or syllables, and so
> code-words that aren't made of normal English words or conventional
> abbreviations in meaningful sequence, properly separated rather than run
> together, seriously disrupt readability and are quite likely to be
> ignored, or treated as spelling errors ("incansist" suggests "the writer
> doesn't know how to spell 'inconsistent'" more than it suggests "this is a
> technical term with a special glibc-local definition").

>> Someone who's reading the manual is there to learn something; they're
>> learning not just definitions, but a language.  After all, cryptic

> They're learning the use of glibc functions

and types and macros and variables.

Do I really have to point out that the names of these objects we
document are also made up terms, code-words that aren't made of normal
English words: malloc, setpwent, popen, mcheck, getopt, argp_parse,
mallinfo, catget, dcgettext, iswalnum, dlsym, mempcpy, wcstok,
argz_add_sep, fcntl, cbrtl, lcong48, DTTOIF, ftw, memalign...  Do I need
to go on to show how much of a double-standard your argument is based
on?

The manual provides definitions for all of these non-English, made-up
terms.  You can't even argue that all of them are external standards
imposed on us, because a number of the functions I mentioned are glibc
originals!

>> *expect* to and *want* to deal with that; they're reading the manual
>> precisely because they want to learn what those new words mean.

> No, they want to learn how to use glibc functions.

Exactly!  They want to learn *exactly* what those odd combinations of
letters mean!  Somehow when it's a function name among other made-up
terms from C, that's perfectly readable, but when it's a one-line table
among other equally made up terms, then it can't work, and you're
willing to sacrifice precision to avoid using them?!?

As a last attempt to come to an agreement, before I decide we're at an
impasse, here's a list of keywords I'd be willing to adopt.  They're
English and imprecise, as you prefer, and they're even shorter, as I
prefer.

Current         Proposed
staticbuf       race
lockleak        lock