Re: GNU C Library master sources branch local_ibm_2.18 created. glibc-2.18-87-g40e9bbd

On 11/16/2013 03:21 AM, Alan Modra wrote:
> I tried this with the following result.
>
> git push origin --delete local_ibm_2.18
> remote: fatal: Invalid revision range ...
> To ssh://amodra@sourceware.org/git/glibc.git
>  - [deleted]         local_ibm_2.18
>
> "git remote update; git branch -r;" then shows the branches gone,
> whereas with my previous attempt "git branch -r" showed them gone
> initially but after "git remote update", back they came.

They are definitely deleted. Thanks :-)

>>> You can also delete the local branches you have:
>>> git branch -D local_ibm_2.18
>>> git branch -D ibm_2.18
>>>
>>> Then you probably want to follow up with `git remote prune origin'
>>> on your end to sync between the upstream deleted branches and your
>>> own local tracking branches.
>>
>> Alan,
>>
>> I forgot we disabled this for safety.
>
> Perhaps I found a bug in the disabling?  :)

Yes, you certainly did given that you were able to delete the branches.

> Incidentally, all this came about because I following the glibc wiki
> on creating branches and used "-b my_local_branch_name".  Then when
> trying to push my patches upstream accidentally created a remote
> branch.  Curiously I saw an error something like
> remote: fatal: Invalid revision range ...

Was there a bug in the wiki instructions that resulted in a push of
a local branch to the remote?

The error "remote: fatal: Invalid revision range ..." is a receive/update
git hook problem with sourceware and glibc repos.

The oldrev is all zeros for a new branch and we need to do something
more sensible when such an update happens. It's probably that this changed
recently and you're the first to make a new branch.

e.g.
if [ "$oldrev" -eq 0 ]; then
    # list everything reachable from newrev but not any heads
    git rev-list $(git for-each-ref --format='%(refname)' refs/heads/* | sed 's/^/\^/') "$newrev"
else
    git rev-list "$oldrev..$newrev"
fi

> To compound the problem, I thought maybe I'd created my local branch
> wrongly somehow so tried again with a fresh branch.  Hence both
> ibm_2.18 and local_ibm_2.18.  (Yes, I know.  Repeating the same thing
> and expecting different results.)

:-)

> I eventually figured out I needed to push using
> local_ibm_2.18:refs/heads/ibm/2.18/master.  And I now have a local
> branch called ibm/2.18/master so this shouldn't happen again.
>
> Believe it or not, I still like git!

I've made lots of newb mistakes and I think Roland once threatened to take
away my commit access :-)

Cheers,
Carlos.