Re: Kill libc-ports?

I don't think having two mailing lists is useful.  It just complicates life.

My preference (as I've said in the past) would be that libc-alpha be
renamed to something less random, such as libc-devel.  But I can't argue
with the concerns about gratuitous legwork on sourceware, bifurcating the
list archives, etc.  So let's worry about possible renaming separately and
later, not now.

libc-ports per se is no longer useful and should go away.

I sympathize with the need of machine maintainers to have an easier way
than filtering libc-alpha to keep track of their pending work.  Repurposing
the historical libc-ports list is not the way to do that.  Possibly a new
mailing list could make sense, but I doubt it.  My suggestion is a new
protocol using a wiki page that machine maintainers are expected to put a
wiki watch on.  That would also be the way to keep track of the doneness
state of a given issue for each machine.  People who are quite active doing
something to keep track of machine maintainers' timeliness in updating that
wiki page could be a good way to assess the ongoing level of responsiveness
of each machine maintainer.

Thanks,
Roland