Re: Update on freeze status of glibc 2.18?

Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 01:14:15AM +0200, Torvald Riegel wrote:

>> If you were talking about potential users, then which scenarios do you
>> have in mind?  If people use the stock glibc that their distribution
>> provides, then the applications provided by the distribution will also
>> have been recompiled.  That already gives you a large group of users
>> and applications, and good testing.  If you're thinking third-party
>> binaries, then they'll have to be recompiled to make use of new
>> features -- but that's hardly unusual.

> AFAIK Fedora doesn't even recompile every release (I may be wrong).

Debian certainly doesn't.  Most software in Debian ends up being
recompiled at some point during the release process simply because there's
usually some reason to upload a new version of the package, but if there
isn't, the same binaries may exist in multiple releases.  There is no
proactive attempt to rebuild every binary in the distribution against the
latest glibc and upload the results.  (We *do* rebuild every binary in the
distribution against the latest glibc *to make sure that it still builds*,
but the results are discarded unless there are build failures.)