Re: Rearranging old ChangeLog files

> (a) Does it seem appropriate to clean up trailing whitespace in these
> files?

It doesn't really matter either way.  I'm inclined not to touch them at all.

> (b) Various other GNU projects now arrange past ChangeLogs by year rather
> than with numbers 1, ..., 17.  Would it seem appropriate to rearrange
> glibc's ChangeLogs like that (ChangeLog-1991, ..., ChangeLog-2012, with
> the main ChangeLog having the entries starting at the start of 2013 and
> being rotated annually)?

The reason we rotated ChangeLog in the past was because it got "big".
The definition of "big" has changed so drastically in the past 20 years
that a ChangeLog file is unlikely to qualify until it has decades worth
of entries in it.  I do not like the preemptive annual splitting done
these days in binutils and gcc.  It's less onerous that it used to be
since Emacs got the "multi-isearch" feature for ChangeLog files.
Nonetheless, I don't see any reason to be splitting ChangeLog at all
any more.

Thanks,
Roland