Re: Consensus: Tuning runtime behaviour with environment variables.

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> We have established prior-art for setting runtime behaviour
> based on environment variables. It's useful.

I'd like to see a more detailed analysis of the existing prior art.  I
suggest a list of all environment variables used in some way by glibc's
libraries (as opposed to miscellaneous executables installed by glibc),
annotated to indicate for each:

* Whether it follows the proposed guidelines.

* Whether it is in UNSECURE_ENVVARS (sysdeps/generic/unsecvars.h) or
EXTRA_UNSECURE_ENVVARS (sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/dl-librecon.h) or
otherwise removed from the environment if __libc_enable_secure
(MALLOC_CHECK_ unless /etc/suid-debug exists).

* Whether it is followed if __libc_enable_secure (which depends e.g. on
whether __libc_secure_getenv is used).  (Together with the previous point,
you get a tristate, which is probably what should go in the list: removed
in the secure case; not removed but ignored; not ignored.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com