Re: GNU C Library manual - writing missing parts

On 05/13/2013 04:45 PM, Yogesh Chaudhari wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have used glibc but I am relatively new to the project and the just
> signed up on the list. But, I would like to contribute to the
> documentation efforts.
>
> This is regarding the information about manual on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/development.html. I would like to
> fill in some of the missing parts. But I could not find information
> about what the current status is, or which would be a good starting
> point to work on the manual.
>
> I would like to ask, if the concerned maintainer(s) can point me out
> in the right direction to proceed with this.

Yogesh,

Thank you for stepping forward to volunteer! :-)

We need help filling in the POSIX thread parts of the manual.
You can see that part of the manual here: manual/threads.texi.
There isn't very much there right now.

Please be aware that you can't copy any text from anywhere,
it must be your own original work. There are some reasonable limits
here as there are really only so many ways you can describe pthread_create().

We need to document all of the POSIX thread interfaces implemented
by glibc's libpthread e.g. pthread_create, pthread_join, etc.

We have a contribution checklist here which should help:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

You will need a copyright assignment to contribute to glibc:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#FSF_copyright_Assignment

As the author of the text you can contribute your text to
other documentation efforts listed here:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#Documentation

For example you could contribute enhanced documentation to Linux man-pages
project.

Does that answer all of your questions?

Cheers,
Carlos.