Re: ChangeLog entry complexity

On Tuesday 02 April 2013 04:40:04 Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 03/25/2013 05:55 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > Does anyone feel strongly that detailed change logs are limiting our
> > acceptance of new developers to the community?
>
> GNU-style changelogs lead to under-documentation of changes in the
> version control history, and in the long run, they make it more
> difficult to work with the code base.
>
> I'm not making this upâGNU policies encourage to duplicate information
> found in the version control history, and explicitly discourage
> providing context or a rationale:
>
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Log-Concepts.html#Chang
> e-Log-Concepts>
>
> The suggestion to add relevant information in comments is good, but it
> does not work at all when code is moved or deleted, and localized
> comments still do not address the bigger picture.

yes, i've felt this way for a long time with both glibc and sourceware.org
trees.  if i'm browsing the history to try and figure out where a change was
made and *why*, i'm pretty much f-ed.  the commit message the vast majority of
the time is 1 line written like an e-mail subject: terse, dense, and often
lacking in useful details.  the GNU ChangeLog adds absolutely nothing to this
(assuming it was even committed at the same time).

my only recourse is to take that commit message and search the mailing lists
and *hope* that i find it on one of the public ones related to the project.
this works a good amount of the time (i'd say ~85%), but it's very time
consuming.  what makes it even worse is mailman's archiving behavior of
splitting across months.  the original message might be in one month, and
follow up responses might happen in a different one, or even spread across a
few.  this makes coordinating things even more of a pita.
-mike