Re: ChangeLog entry complexity

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Eric Wong wrote:

> > Given the messy state of the history converted from CVS (sometimes the
> > heuristics to combine separate CVS commits to separate files into a single
> > git commit helped, but sometimes they made things worse), in practice the
> > ChangeLogs are often a better place to find all the history in one place
> > (together with checking the old CVS repository in tricky cases).
>
> Old history becomes less relevant over time.  Old changelogs will
> always be available if needed.

A key point is *in one place* - it's easy to grep the ChangeLogs for
references to a particular file name or function name.  (I've no idea how
to get git to show all changes to a file of a given name, anywhere in the
source tree a file of that name may have appeared at any time in the past
- or to files whose names matched a given pattern - or to functions
anywhere in the source tree with a given name, or whose names matched a
given pattern.  The sysdeps structure of glibc makes those natural things
to do.  But supposing git does have a way to list such changes based on
patterns in file or function names, the "in one place" issue still
applies.)

> git has a "notes" feature which allows supplementing commit messages.

Any idea why this isn't used by gitlog-to-changelog to find the
modifications to apply to those messages?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com