This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Disable building with i386-*, -march=i386 or -mcpu=i386.
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Roland McGrath<roland at hack dot frob dot com>, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot com>, Thomas Schwinge<thomas at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:15:14 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Disable building with i386-*, -march=i386 or -mcpu=i386.
- References: <513FE49D.email@example.com>
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> + [AC_EGREP_CPP(yes,[#ifdef __tune_i386__
That's the wrong test. Tuning for i386, although strange, shouldn't cause
any problems at all for building glibc; it's -march= not -mtune= that's
the issue, and this would fail to detect -march=i386 with -mtune= for some
more recent processor.
Instead, try building (to .s) a source file using a __sync intrinsic
that's expanded inline for i486 and later, and see if the generated .s
file has a call to an out-of-line __sync library function; that reflects
the actual problem you get building with -march=i386.
Also mention [BZ #10060] and [BZ #10062] in the ChangeLog entry and those
bug numbers in NEWS.
Joseph S. Myers