Re: How do we run a glibc logo contest?

On 01/25/2013 08:47 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Community,

In December we talked about a glibc logo:
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-12/msg00139.html

It's been suggested that we run a contest to choose the logo.

This sounds like a great idea.

Any suggestions on how we we run a contest? :-)

I discussed this finally with one of our designers (Sorry for the delay).

His suggestions (my wording;):

1. Announce it broadly to reach many designers - so e.g. get it on slashdot, LWN,...

2. Create a list of what's allowed - and what's not. For example: respect copyright, do not draw people or gestures (easily misunderstood),... what formats are needed (vector format preferred, needs to work in one or two colours as well).

Once proposals get submitted, remove those that are not following the rules directly - otherwise people get distracted.

3. Find some designers that help with the review of the proposals. Since most proposals might need some rework, there might be some iterations needed.

4. Don't do everything by voting but select a small team that either pre-selects or selects the final one from the top 3 etc. Since voting is done by a larger group, the core development team should have a way to weight in.

My colleague is willing to help with reviewing - both reviewing of proposals as well as reviewing the rules.

A question is what we want: Some kind of concrete thing, e.g. an animal, or a nice word logo. In either case, we should say what text needs to be in there "glibc" or "GNU C Library"?

Andreas