Re: Planning for 2.18?

On 01/10/2013 09:06 AM, Nick Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
>>> Community,
>>>
>>> I encourage everyone to step in and talk about what they
>>> want to see in 2.18 and how we might accomplish it.
>>>

> Could this include extending or adjusting glibc
> functionality?
>
> I know this is going out on a limb, but what about
> implementing properly asynchronous variants of
> getaddrinfo and getnameinfo?
>
> No threads or signals, instead they provide interfaces
> for retrieving file descriptor events for socket fds to the
> caller for external polling and provide interfaces for
> continuation.
>
> What is the likelihood of this idea even getting off the
> ground?

Likelihood depends on several factors, but primarily it
depends on volunteers :-)

Someone has to start by documenting what they want to
see implemented, perhaps as a design document on the wiki,
followed by an addition to the master todo list.

Then you need to gather consensus around the design. Once
you have consensus you can start implementing.

Now the implementation doesn't have to be done by you, it
could be done by someone from a distribution, or others
which you have convinced of the importance of this
interface.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Carlos.